Organisation: Sense Biodetection Limited
Location: Saint Ives, Cambridgeshire
Job Title: Head of Bioproduction
Company: Sense is a rapidly growing venture-capital backed company that has developed an entirely new class
of diagnostic product – an instrument-free molecular test. The Company’s Veros products combine the superior
performance of laboratory testing with the proven market benefits of disposable tests. Sense’s first product
VerosTM COVID-19 is a simple disposable test that uses a nasal swab sample to give an ultra-rapid result without
the need for any instrumentation. As a molecular test it exploits the Gold Standard chemistry of laboratory tests
but is easy to use in any setting and thus will enable widespread decentralised testing for COVID-19. Sense has
ambitious plans to grow from its strong foundations and become a leader in this exciting new segment of the
diagnostics industry. Sense is currently expanding its biomanufacturing capabilities and is seeking an experienced
Head of Bioproduction to lead its activities in this area.
The Role and Responsibilities: Sense currently has an opportunity for an experienced and motivated Head of
Bioproduction to lead the expansion of its biomanufacturing operations to ensure the Company is able to realise
its ambitious goals for product growth.
The role will include the following key responsibilities:
- Lead the Company’s biomanufacturing operations for the routine supply of the bioreagents for
- Company’s diagnostic products.
- Oversee the establishment, commissioning and maintenance of appropriate facilities and equipment to
- deliver product in accordance with the Company’s quality management system.
- Recruit and manage bioproduction scientists and technicians responsible for routine production activities.
- Liaise with the Molecular Development team to transfer into manufacturing the processes for routine
- production of bioreagents for use in the Company’s products.
- Develop and maintain work instructions for bioproduction processes in accordance with the company’s
- quality management system.
- Oversee the routine operation of the Company’s bioproduction activities, in accordance with all
- applicable procedures and work instructions.
- Implement a process of continuous improvement to enhance the efficiency and output of the Company’s
- bioproduction operations.
Applicant: This is a senior role and the candidates are expected to have significant prior experience in the
biomanufacturing or bioprocessing industry. The successful candidate will work closely with the Company’s
Director of Manufacturing & Operations, Head of Molecular Development and the wider leadership team.
Experience working for a company in the IVD field is advantageous but not essential.
The ideal candidate will be a pragmatic scientific leader with demonstrable management experience in a
production environment who also has the communication and management skills to coordinate with internal and
external stakeholders to ensure successful delivery. Experience of GMP in a relevant industry is essential and
experience of working within an ISO 13485 compliant system for medical device development and manufacture
would be a strong advantage. Strong IT, writing and interpersonal skills are required to ensure effective
communication with the molecular development and manufacturing teams. More broadly, we are looking for a
team player with the initiative, flexibility, drive and enthusiasm to achieve goals and exceed expectations in a
dynamic start-up environment.
Job Type: Full-time.
Please send a CV with covering letter outlining what you would hope to bring to this role via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Applicants from recruitment
consultants will be considered on a non-exclusive basis. We will only contact candidates who are selected for
Closing Date: 14 August 2020.
Package: Competitive salary (including share options and bonus).