This is an exciting opportunity to lead the diverse activities of the Process Development and Analytical Science team ensuring alignment with business goals. The team works closely with the viral vector manufacture, cell line development and antibody expression teams using OXGENE proprietary mammalian cell lines and genetic systems. We aim to generate state of the art processes to address unmet needs and facilitate development of complex biopharmaceuticals.
Hours: Full-time, Laboratory and Office-based
Salary: £ Competitive dependent on experience plus benefits
OXGENE redefines possible in mammalian cell engineering. Our technology platforms and expert solutions accelerate the discovery, development and manufacture of cell and gene therapies.
We address some of the most important and challenging questions in modern biology within gene therapy, antibody-based therapeutics and CRISPR / gene editing.
Our technologies enable precise and robust mammalian cell engineering. Our automation and informatics driven approaches mean we solve the problems that no-one else can to advance the delivery of new therapeutics.
The Process Development and Analytical team at OXGENE is involved in the implementation and generation of upstream, downstream and analytical technologies related to viral vector and antibody manufacture. The team works closely with the viral vector manufacture, cell line development and antibody expression teams using OXGENE proprietary mammalian cell lines and genetic systems. We aim to generate state of the art processes to address unmet needs and facilitate development of complex biopharmaceuticals.
The team utilises a wide range of technologies including AMBR15, DASGIP STR bioreactors, TFF, AKTA/Preparative chromatography, qPCR, SDS-PAGE/Western blot, HPLC and ELISA. This role will manage the diverse activities of the team ensuring alignment with business goals. An additional requirement is the ability to initiate and direct collaborative efforts with customers and partners. Prior experience in process scale-up and technology transfer activities in a commercial/industrial environment would be considered essential.
At OXGENE we aim to use statistical/computational methods to enable efficient process and platform design – familiarity with use of automation, design of experiments and quality by design would be highly advantageous.
- Day to day management of process development and analytical team
- To support Scientist colleagues with experimental design and approach
- To generate customer proposals, working with the commercial team
- Liaise with customers and third parties, providing regular updates and troubleshooting
- Act as a subject matter expert for process development and analytical technologies
- Support commercial activities by attending conferences/trade shows, as required
- Develop and nurture a high-performing team, and provide associated training
- Other appropriate duties as required
- Ph.D. or MSc in relevant area (e.g. Biochemical Engineering), along with significant experience in an industry setting
- Experience with developing and optimising scalable manufacturing processes
- High-level understanding of gene therapy vectors, and associated product quality attributes
- Direct experience working in a regulated industry, authoring/utilising SOPs, and templated documentation within ISO 9001:2015 quality management standard (or equivalent)
- Experience of managing and developing a team of Scientists and Technicians
- High-level attention to detail
- Previous experience of developing suspension processes for viral vectors
- Understanding of multiple methods outlined in role overview sufficient to provide guidance to scientist already familiar with the methods and specialised in their respective fields
- Direct knowledge around rAAV, lentiviral or adenoviral vector manufacture
- Understanding of GMP regulations and QbD principles and guidelines for process development
- Good at empowering and incentivising team members
We are located in the UK and USA. The UK office is located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford.
Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
How to apply
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, and let us know where you first saw the position advertised. Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on how you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description.
Internal applicants: please apply directly to Human Resources, copying your line manager into the email.
Sending us your personal information means that you are asking us to hold your data on file, and understand that we will only keep it for as long as we need it to comply with the Data Protection Act.
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.
Information for international candidates
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK.
Unfortunately, as a small company, we have very limited ability to sponsor employees under Tier 2 (General) of the points based system, and we are unable to sponsor Tier 2 work visas for international graduates / candidates.
MORE ABOUT OXGENE
OXGENE offers a generous benefits package:
- 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 with service and 8 UK bank/public holidays per annual leave year and a day off on your birthday
- Pension with salary exchange and generous employer contribution
- Group life cover
- Glasses vouchers
- Emloyee assistance programme
- Business travel insurance
- Private medical insurance with additional wellness benefits (as a benefit in kind)
- Free tea, coffee, fruit-juice, fruit and biscuits, with kitchen facilities
- Financially incentivised employee referral scheme
- Free parking
Company culture and environment
OXGENE offers a friendly working environment in a diverse and expanding company.
- Modern offices and laboratories
- Opportunity to make a difference in a promotion-from-within environment
- Regular whole-company presentations, including regular scientific updates
- Regular social events, including TGI Friday activities
- Annual two-day staff away days
Our employee values include scientific excellence, ambition, diversity, teamwork and fun, and we have an ongoing commitment to quality, health and safety.
Alongside the responsibilities outlined in the job description, we expect all OXGENE employees to adhere to the following:
- Actively participate in your performance review, and work towards the objectives set.
- Take responsibility for your professional development, ensure that professional standards are maintained and that mandatory training is in date.
- Attend training as requested.
Code of Conduct and Quality
- Uphold the company mission and values.
- Support the company in developing an effective work/life balance for employees that meets the needs of the organisation.
- Adhere to quality processes and procedures, and strive for continuous quality improvement.
- Observe the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy; to provide equality of treatment and opportunity to all employees irrespective of gender, sexuality, age, marital status, ethnic origin or disability.
Health & Safety
- Take responsibility for your own health & safety and that of other persons who may be affected by your omissions or actions at work.
- Promote the company’s Health and Safety Policy, and ensure matters are managed accordingly.
- Report accidents, incidents and near misses, and implement corrective action where necessary.
Confidentiality and Data Security
- Comply fully with the duties and responsibilities outlined the company handbook regarding confidentiality.
- Comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 and future similar legislation, and ensure that all information collected, stored and used is done so in compliance with the Data Protection Act / GDPR.
- Preserve the confidentiality of any information in connection with your employment. This obligation shall continue in perpetuity.
Diversity and equality of opportunity
We provide all our staff with a welcoming and inclusive workplace that enables and empowers everyone to develop and deliver professional excellence. We recognise that diversity is vital for innovation and creativity and value each individual’s contribution. OXGENE’s decision to employ and promote individuals will be determined by personal merit and the application of criteria related to the role. The ability to perform the role will be the primary consideration on entry into employment and to successfully pass probation.
The application process
When we receive your application, we will look at it carefully to see if you are right for the role. We aim to contact all successful candidates within 2-3 weeks of application. If you haven’t received a telephone call or an e-mail from us in this time, it means you have not been selected on this occasion.
Due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback for candidates who are not selected for interview. We thank you for your application and interest in OXGENE. If you would like to receive the latest career opportunity alerts then please sign up here.
All appointments will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and health assessment.
Information for recruitment agencies
We only accept CVs from our partnership recruitment agencies. Should you wish to be considered as a partner agency, please read the information on our website under ‘Recruitment Agencies’ and complete the online form if you are eligible.