MoA Technology Limited (“MoA”) is a spin-out company from the University of Oxford. Professor Liam Dolan (FRS), head of the University’s Plant Sciences department, has developed a novel approach for the discovery of next generation Agritech products.
The suitable candidate will report to the CTO and provide leadership to help establish the chemistry strategy for the company. The primary objectives will be scientific and technical in nature, aimed at delivering a robust pipeline of agrochemical products offering significant long-term value. A thorough understanding of commercial R&D processes, and the ability to apply this knowledge to accelerate lead generation, optimisation and advancing projects into development will be essential. Finally, and most challengingly, the ideal individual will be able to effectively reconcile engrained traditional R&D approach with MoA’s novel technology to create a disruptive R&D process.
Key scientific and technical accountabilities
- Leading the design and synthesis of biologically active molecules, you will be working at the interface of chemistry, biology and data science to deliver agrochemical products.
- Responsible for multiple chemical optimization projects, and at the same time ensuring a pipeline of lead generation projects.
- Effectively leading and managing synthetic chemistry and compound management resources to ensure chemical projects and data generation are on track
- Identification and acquisition of both synthetic and natural chemical libraries.
- Ensure IP protection of MoA’s chemical assets by working closely with IP attorneys
- Collaborate with biologists, geneticists, computational scientists, IP attorneys and external organizations
- Identify and establish strategic external partners to complement internal capabilities and serve as the chemistry contact to the wider scientific community.
Education & experience
- Significant industrial experience at an agrochemical, pharmaceutical or biotechnology company.
- Expert knowledge of complex chemical syntheses and SAR against biological targets.
- Flair for visualizing and interpreting complex data and making sound scientific judgement in consultation with appropriate specialists to expedite projects.
- A thorough understanding of information that can be gleaned from small chemical & protein crystal structures, metabolism and physicochemical properties to aid in analogue design.
- Experience working with and managing multidisciplinary internal and external (CRO) teams
- Passionate about discovering and bringing to market novel agriproducts
- Enthusiastic about chemistry and working in a fast-paced high-tech company
- Collaborative and revels in the opportunity to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Possesses an enquiring mind and facilitates and encourages scientific debate
- Proactive, self-starter - resourceful, resilient, determined – a confident problem solver
- Enormous capacity to learn new skills and willing to take on responsibilities within and beyond the core chemistry function.
- Work flexibly as part of an early stage R&D Team, demonstrating a ‘hands-on’ approach to helping establish the company and a strong work ethic.
- The company is in a rapid growth trajectory and require highly motivated individuals who can evolve with the needs of the business. In return, the company can offer the right individuals with unparalleled opportunity to progress and expand their skills and knowledge base.
- Depending on experience individuals will also be considered for one of the following roles: senior scientist, outsourcing manger, senior outsourcing manager or associate director.
Location: BioEscalator, Old Campus Road, Oxford
Position type: Permanent full-time
If you are interested in applying for this position then please send a CV and covering letter to Dr Cathy Gouveia HR@moa-technology.com