Orbit Discovery is a rapidly growing biotech company specialising in peptide drug discovery built on a novel peptide display and screening platform developed at the University of Oxford. Orbit is well funded with the opportunity to develop highly efficacious peptide-based biological drugs which are suitable and affordable for large patient groups. Orbit has internal discovery programmes and works in collaboration with major pharmaceutical companies in co-development projects.
The position will hold a key role in the development of a cell-free translation system to be utilised in the Orbit peptide screening platform. The main responsibilities will be developing cell-free expression systems, purifying and charging tRNAs and producing recombinant proteins. In addition, you will assist the daily running of the lab and maintenance of the equipment.
Overview of the role
This role is critical to our success by helping to ensure and improve the performance of our cell-free translation system and to expand its utility in incorporation of non-natural amino acids in peptide libraries.
You must be a highly organised, collaborative, detail-oriented scientist possessing knowledge and experience in molecular biology and biochemistry with an ability to produce work to a high standard. The position requires a MSc, preferably with an industry background. You will have the opportunity to be trained in other technologies, be a key member of the team and will benefit from an excellent remuneration package including share options.
- Synthesise cell-free systems for in-house usage.
- Produce recombinant proteins for the cell-free system.
- Purify and charge tRNA.
- Assist in optimising cell-free expression systems and help establish routine production procedures.
- Troubleshoot equipment and methods within the process development of cell-free system.
- QC of cell-free system.
- Maintain best practice, quality standards and accurate record keeping.
- Keep up to date with and support implementation of new technologies and protocols.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the company and with collaborators.
- Have focus on both short- and medium-term objectives.
- Ensure laboratory records are complete, accurate and up to date.
- Thrive in an environment of openness, teamwork and accountability.
- Support general lab duties, e.g. reagent preparation, cleaning and stocking.
Additionally, you will:
- Write drafts of scientific reports for internal use and communication with partner companies.
- Identify potentially platform improvements.
- Present research to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Ensure that your work in the department is conducted safely, and legally in accordance with the highest standards of data protections.
- Adhere to the values of the company policies and practices.
- MSc in molecular biology and biochemistry.
- At least 2 years industry or academia working experience.
- Experience with protein purification, PCR, Western blot and bacteria culture.
- Capacity to execute tasks independently to achieve company goals on an established timeline.
- Superb communication, organization, attention-to-details, multi-tasking, adaptability and teamwork skills.
- Knowledge of, and appreciation for, laboratory safety procedures.
- Enthusiasm to work in a dynamic research environment.
- Experience of working in production environment.
- Experience with the use of AKTA system.
- Hands-on experience in a variety of molecular biology and biochemistry techniques.
Applicants should provide a full CV with a list of their publications to date, contact details for 2 referees and a cover letter describing their suitability for the position.
Applications should be sent to Careers@orbitdiscovery.com