Job Type: Permanent, full time
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Sector: Life Sciences
OBN, the UK’s leading membership company for life science companies is recruiting a Business Development Manager to join its busy Commercial Team. This is a critical appointment and the post holder will be a key influencer in the sales, growth and ongoing success of the company.
Reporting to the CEO, you will be responsible for revenue generation, member recruitment, member management, attending many of the networking events during the year and promoting the services of OBN on the telephone and in face to face meetings. You will be working closely with many of the UK’s leading life science R&D companies, the investor community and a wide range of complimentary industry businesses.
You will be prepared to ‘get your hands dirty’, undertaking field-based sales across the UK, meeting both potential and existing members. Possessing a positive and confident attitude together with excellent presentation skills, you will relish networking and meeting new people and will be able to demonstrably close a sale.
As this is an outward-facing role, working from a suitably located home-based office may be acceptable.
- Taking the lead on revenue generation
- Sales of membership, event sponsorship, exhibition space, showcase presentation slots and event registrations
- Account management - regular contact with existing members and sponsors to ensure we are fulfilling their expectations
- Engaging with delegates at networking events to promote the services of OBN
- Ad hoc company research as required
- Active input into the organisation’s strategy plans
- Participating in post-event feedback analysis and contributing to new ideas to improve future events and conferences.
Experience & Skills:
- Experience in business development and sales of services into the UK life science sector. Candidates with specific experience in membership sales and/or sponsorship sales will have an advantage.
- Comprehensive up to date knowledge of the UK life science industry
- Have an extensive contact base from the life science industry
- Strong organisational skills
- Influential presentation skills
- An expectation to travel, in and out of business hours with occasional overnight stays
- Full driving licence and own transport (mileage will be reimbursed)
- A degree in life science and/or business and marketing
- Experience working with social media
- Highly independent, energetic and motivated self-starter
- Demonstrable experience of generating and closing sales, hitting sales targets, and prepared to go that extra mile to reach the desired outcome
- Potential to become an effective and aggressive business developer, with career plans to work within the life sciences industry.
- Natural networker, comfortable to engage and interact with people at all levels, strong relationship builder
OBN is the membership organisation supporting and bringing together the UK’s innovative life science R&D companies, their corporate partners and their investors. Our member companies, currently around 400, are located across London, Oxford, Cambridge and beyond to Nottingham, Manchester and Scotland, benefitting from our core activities: networking, partnering, purchasing, advising, training, and advocacy.
We run up to 40 evening and breakfast networking events in Oxford, London, Cambridge as well as a number of meetings in Nottingham and Manchester each year, on behalf of our members. OBN also operates an acclaimed Purchasing Consortium for its members, which offers substantial savings, we also help connect companies to investors, and we’re involved in a number of consultative projects.
Our flagship event BioTrinity, by far the leading investment and bio-partnering conference in the UK, is held in London in the Spring and is a key part in the post holders activities. BioTrinity 2018 takes place on 23-25 April 2018.
Salary & bonus: Details available prior to interview.
Holidays: 25 days per year, plus bank holidays.
Pension: OBN will match employee contributions up to 5%.
Private Healthcare: Following successful completion of the probationary period.
Hours: 37.5 hrs per week, Monday to Friday, though a high level of flexibility is expected as part of this role, including some evening work and occasionally to represent the company at overseas conferences.
To apply: Please submit your CV and covering email, detailing what interests you about the role, what you feel you could bring to OBN and your salary/package expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A FULL BACKGROUND CHECK WILL BE UNDERTAKEN ON ALL CANDIDATES