Hours: Full-time, Laboratory and/or Office-based
Salary: £30,000 to £40,000 per annum (with a discretionary range to £45,000) dependant on experience plus benefits
The Senior Scientist – Cell Line Development will be involved in both internal platform development and commercial projects, focusing on setting up and operationally leading an internal CHO-based cell line development platform for manufacture of therapeutic proteins. Prior experience in development of cell lines for protein manufacture, and an understanding of methodologies for the optimisation of cell growth conditions, genetic manipulation of cell lines, and product quality attributes (PQAs) would be highly advantageous. This role will interface extensively with colleagues in the protein engineering, expression and process development groups.
Scientist colleagues are expected to drive and lead specific projects and areas of research from the bench, while providing support and training to technicians working in the group. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line the planned project objectives
- To keep up-to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Set an example to other colleagues, and to train junior staff in appropriate techniques
- Provide project summaries and reporting, as required
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
- Support line manager with customer interactions, and in ensuring smooth running of the group
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
- Provide accurate record keeping at all times
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position, as required
- MSc or Ph.D. in relevant discipline (Biotechnology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry)
- Experience working in a commercial/industry setting relevant to the role (>2 years) would be highly desirable
- Extensive experience with handling of mammalian suspension cell lines, including generating stable, clonal lines.
- Experience with Flow cytometry/FACS
- Excellent organizational and decision-making skills
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks, and work under pressure
- Genetic characterisation of cell lines via qPCR/ddPCR
- Generation of optimised genetic constructs for protein expression
- Good knowledge of key assays to assess product quality attributes (HPLC, ELISA, MS)
- Knowledge of GLP, cGMP and/or other relevant quality systems
- Highly developed interpersonal, written and verbal skills, including the ability to give presentations and to speak to groups
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, four miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford.Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
How to apply
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, and let us know where you first saw the position advertised. Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on how you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description.
Sending us your personal information means that you are asking us to hold your data on file, and understand that we will only keep it for as long as we need it to comply with the Data Protection Act.
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.
Information for international candidates
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK.
Unfortunately, as a small company, we have very limited ability to sponsor employees under Tier 2 (General) of the points based system, and we are unable to sponsor Tier 2 work visas for international graduates / candidates.