Hours: Full-time, laboratory and office based
Salary: 28,000-38,000 per annum, dependent on experience plus benefits
OXGENE redefines possible in mammalian cell engineering. Our technology platforms and expert solutions accelerate the discovery, development and manufacture of cell and gene therapies.
We address some of the most important and challenging questions in modern biology within gene therapy, antibody-based therapeutics and CRISPR / gene editing.
Our technologies enable precise and robust mammalian cell engineering. Our automation and informatics driven approaches mean we solve the problems that no-one else can to advance the delivery of new therapeutics.
The Scientist in the Gene Editing Platform group will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, predominantly focused on OXGENE’s mammalian cell engineering pipeline. This area of business has expanded significantly in the last 18-months, and this role will contribute extensively to its further operational development. Scientist colleagues are expected to drive and lead specific projects and areas of research from the bench, while providing support and training to Technicians and Associates working in the group. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential. Individuals with an enthusiasm for operational excellence, and for optimising procedures and processes are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define, plan and deliver project goals, in line with group’s objectives
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
- Keep up to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Provide accurate record keeping
- Provide project summaries and reports
- Support line manager with smooth running of the group
- Train and oversee junior staff in appropriate techniques
- Adhere strictly to established quality standards
- PhD/DPhil in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Cell Biology or relevant discipline
- Experience in a commercial/industrial setting (minimum 1 year)
- Strong molecular biology skills, including primer design, nucleic acid extraction, PCR, data analysis
- Expertise in using gene editing methods, such as CRISPR
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture
- Experience in supervising junior members of staff
- Strong communication and organisation skills, as well as attention to detail
- Strong team playing skills (ideally in multidisciplinary teams)
- Experience in cell biology assays, including transfection, stable cell line generation, western blotting and immunofluorescence
- Experience in using robotic liquid handling and automation systems
- Experience of flow cytometry and cell sorting
- Experience in manufacture workflows
- Experience in SOP writing
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, four miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
How to apply
Please email your CV to email@example.com, and let us know where you first saw the position advertised. Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on how you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description.
Internal applicants: please apply directly to Human Resources, copying your line manager into the email.
Sending us your personal information means that you are asking us to hold your data on file, and understand that we will only keep it for as long as we need it to comply with the Data Protection Act.
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.
Information for international candidates
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK. Unfortunately, as a small company, we have very limited ability to sponsor employees under Tier 2 (General) of the points based system, and we are unable to sponsor Tier 2 work visas for international graduates / candidates.
OXGENE offers a friendly working environment in a diverse and expanding company.