Orbit Discovery is a rapidly growing biotech company specialising in peptide drug discovery built on a novel peptide display and screening platform developed at the University of Oxford. Orbit is well funded with the opportunity to develop highly efficacious peptide-based biological drugs which are suitable and affordable for large patient groups. Orbit has internal discovery programmes and works in collaboration with major pharmaceutical companies in co-development projects.
You will play a key role in the development of cutting-edge therapeutic peptide discovery technologies. Your main responsibility will be in the development of the Orbit peptide display platform. This will include the development of technologies for genotype-phenotype linkage, peptide library design and preparation.
Overview of the role
This role is critical to our success by helping to ensure and improve the performance of our screening platform and to expand its utility.
You will be a highly organised, collaborative, detail-oriented scientist possessing knowledge and experience in molecular biology or biochemistry with an ability to produce work to a high standard. You will support a novel peptide display technology and drive peptide drug discovery. You will have the opportunity to be trained in other technologies, be a key member of the development team and will benefit from an excellent remuneration package including share options.
- As a Research Scientist within Orbit you will:
- Support internal development of screening technologies
- Independently design and perform experiments, analyse data, and draft reports
- Accomplish tasks according to schedule
- Keep up to date with and support implementation of new technologies and protocols
- Ensure laboratory records are complete, accurate and up to date
- Update and maintain peptide databases
- Assist in training of colleagues
- Communicate effectively with all members of the company and with collaborators
- Maintain best practice, quality standards and accurate record keeping
- Have focus on objectives of short, medium and long term
- Thrive in an environment of openness, teamwork and accountability
- Additionally, you will:
- Write drafts of scientific reports for internal use, communication with partner companies and scientific publication
- Identify potentially protectable IP
- Present research to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Ensure that your work is conducted safely and legally in accordance with the highest standards of data protection
- Adhere to the values of the company policies and practices
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry or other relevant fields.
- Other skills are appreciated but not mandatory: qPCR, ELISA, FACS, enzymatic assays, peptide display or other display technologies.
- Experience in peptide/protein structural analysis and modelling
- Experience in in vitro translation
- Experience in protein-protein interaction
- Knowledge in conjugation of biomolecules or click chemistry
Applicants should provide a full CV with a list of their publications to date, contact details for 2 referees and a cover letter describing their suitability for the position.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.