Oxford Genetics, a leader in synthetic biology, is a specialised contract research organisation offering services to support the discovery, development and production of biologics, with a particular focus on viral vectors for gene therapy applications.
A unifying theme across the portfolio is expertise in DNA design, expression system optimisation, cell line development and engineering of viral delivery systems. We are located within purpose-fitted laboratories at the Oxford Science Park, just South of Oxford.
We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists and engineers to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company. We aim to be both innovative and entrepreneurial in everything we do – join us and contribute to this exciting journey!
The Scientist – Viral vector engineering will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, predominantly focused on Adenoviral and rAAV vector engineering, production, and analysis. The Scientist role is expected to drive and lead specific projects and areas of research from the bench, while providing support and training to Associate Scientists and technicians working in the group, which addresses both viral vector engineering and novel bioproduction methodologies. Oxford Genetics intends to further build its expertise over the next 6-12 months in the Viral Therapeutics field, predominantly around Lentiviral, AAV and Adenoviral vectors. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential. Prior experience in adenoviral and/or rAAV vector engineering and production is highly desirable.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line with the planned project objectives
- To line manage and train junior staff in laboratory techniques (as appropriate for level of appointment)
- Support line manager with customer interactions, and in ensuring smooth running of the group
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
- Drafting and reviewing SOPs
- To author scientific reports in a timely manner with high accuracy and quality
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position, as required
- MSc in Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics or related field, with >2 years relevant experience or Ph.D with >1 year relevant experience
- Experience working in a commercial/industry environment is preferred but not essential
- Extensive track record of handling a range of adherent and suspension mammalian cell lines
- Good knowledge and experience of viral vector engineering, production and characterisation, with a focus on Adenoviral and rAAV vectors
- Experience with analytical techniques for Adenoviral or rAAV vectors, e.g. TCID50, qPCR, etc.
- Ability to independently analyse, interpret and present scientific data in a clear manner
- Good communication and inter-personal skills
- Strong ability to multi-task under time pressure
- Good attention to details
- Experience in designing, generating and screening libraries (promoters, gRNAs, CDS, etc.)
- Knowledge or experience in Cell engineering/stable cell line development
- Use of robotic liquid handling and automation systems
- Knowledge in process development for viral vector production
- Knowledge or experience in project management
Job type: Permanent, office and laboratory based
Hours: Full time 37.5 hours pw
Salary: £28,000 – £38,000 pa plus benefits dependent on experience
In addition to undertaking the duties above, the post-holder will be expected to fully adhere to the following:
- To actively participate in their performance review and work towards objectives set.
- To take responsibility for their own professional development ensuring professional standards are maintained and mandatory training is in date.
- To attend training as requested.
Code of Conduct and Quality
- To uphold the company mission and values.
- To support the company in developing an effective work/life balance for employees that meets the needs of the organisation.
- To adhere to quality processes and procedures and strive for continuous quality improvement.
- To observe the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy providing equality of treatment and opportunity to employees, irrespective of sex, sexuality, age, marital status, ethnic origin or disability.
Health & Safety
- To take responsibility for the health & safety of themselves and other persons who may be affected by their omissions or actions at work.
- To promote the company Health and Safety Policy and ensure matters are managed in accordance with it.
- To report accidents, incidents and near misses, implementing corrective action where necessary.
Confidentiality and Data Security
- To comply fully with the duties and responsibilities outlined the company handbook regarding confidentiality.
- To comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 and future similar legislation and ensure that all information collected, stored and used is done so in compliance with the Act.
- To preserve the confidentiality of any information in connection with their employment. This obligation shall continue in perpetuity.
25 days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays, Pension with matched employer contribution to 7% with salary exchange, Health Insurance, Group Life Cover, Glasses Vouchers and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding young company.
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship.
Please send a CV to email@example.com
Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description. Int ernal applicants apply directly to Human Resources, copying in their Line Manager.
By sending us your personal information, you are asking us to hold your data on file and understand that we will only keep it for as long as we need it to comply with the Data Protection Act however, should you wish your e-mail address to be added to our automated vacancies update list in the future, please advise us when you apply, thank you.
DIVERSITY AND EQUALITY OF OPPORTUNITY
We provide all our staff with a welcoming and inclusive workplace that enables and empowers everyone to develop and deliver professional excellence. We recognise diversity is vital for innovation and creativity and value each individual’s contribution. Entry into employment with Oxford Genetics and further progression will be determined by personal merit and the application of criteria related to the duties of the role. The ability to perform the role will be the primary consideration on entry into employment and to successfully pass probation.
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and health assessment.
Oxford Genetics only accept CV’s from Partnership Recruitment Agencies. Should you wish to be considered for the future, please read the information on our website under ‘Recruitment Agencies’ and should you be eligible, please complete the online form, thank you.