Oxford Genetics’ mission is to pioneer technologies that streamline the discovery, development and production of biologics, cell and gene therapies. This is enabled through cutting edge bioinformatics and automation platforms that drive the design of complex biological systems. Examples of this approach include the development of optimised platforms for the discovery, engineering and production of antibodies; the creation of improved viral vectors, packaging and production cell lines for lentivirus and rAAV manufacture; and high-throughput automated CRISPR cell line engineering and screening.
We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists and engineers to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company.
The Associate Scientist role will have a Molecular Biology focus and will sit within the Vector and Library Development team. The appointee will be involved in a range of internal research and development and commercial projects, mainly focussed on plasmid vector engineering. This is an important role in supporting other groups at Oxford Genetics and our partners in the industry. The position will involve interaction with both internal and external stakeholders and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential. Individuals with an enthusiasm for operational excellence, and for optimising procedures and processes are particularly encouraged to apply.
- In the area of plasmid engineering:
- Contributing towards the design and execution of experiments
- Identifying the optimal molecular cloning strategies to address project specifications/requirements
- Carrying out appropriate analytics and ensuring full traceability/QC (e.g. Restriction digest, Sanger and NGS sequencing) documentation/results are obtained
- Managing multiple projects concurrently in line with agreed project priorities and timelines
- Keeping accurate records and writing results up into scientific reports
- Solving problems to make progress independently
- Keeping up to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position, as required
- BSc or MSc in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Cell biology or a relevant discipline
- Experience working in a molecular biology laboratory (>1 year)
- Experience using standard molecular cloning techniques including PCR, restriction digestion, agarose gel electrophoresis, DNA ligations, E. coli transformations, plasmid purification and Sanger sequencing
- Proficient in using standard IT systems (Microsoft Office etc.)
- Good organisation and record keeping skills
- Knowledge and experience of using more modern molecular cloning techniques such as: Golden Gate and Gibson assembly and next generation sequencing
- Experience of working with / generating genetic libraries
- Knowledge of gene editing tools (including CRISPR)
- Experience of working from and writing SOPs
- Experience of using bioinformatics / molecular biology software (e.g. SnapGene or similar)
- Experience of working in a commercial/industry setting is desirable
- To actively participate in their performance review and work towards objectives set.
- To take responsibility for their own professional development ensuring professional standards are maintained and mandatory training is in date.
- To attend training as requested.
Code of Conduct and Quality
- To uphold the company mission and values.
- To adhere to quality processes and procedures and strive for continuous quality improvement.
- To observe the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy providing equality of treatment and opportunity to employees, irrespective of sex, sexuality, age, marital status, ethnic origin or disability.
Health & Safety
- To take responsibility for the health & safety of themselves and other persons who may be affected by their omissions or actions at work.
- To promote the company Health and Safety Policy and ensure matters are managed in accordance with it.
- To report accidents, incidents and near misses, implementing corrective action where necessary.
Confidentiality and Data Security
- To comply fully with the duties and responsibilities outlined the company handbook regarding confidentiality.
- To comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 and future similar legislation and ensure that all information collected, stored and used is done so in compliance with the Act.
- To preserve the confidentiality of any information in connection with their employment. This obligation shall continue in perpetuity.
Job Type: Full Time; Permanent
Hours: Full time Laboratory and office based
Salary: £20,000 - £28,000 per annum plus benefits dependent on experience
25 days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays, Pension with matched employer contribution to 7% with salary exchange, Health Insurance, Group Life Cover, Glasses Vouchers and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding young company.
This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship.
Please send a CV to email@example.com advising where you first saw the position advertised. Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description. Internal applicants apply directly to Human Resources, copying in their Line Manager.
By sending us your personal information, you are asking us to hold your data on file and understand that we will only keep it for as long as we need it to comply with the Data Protection Act however, should you wish your e-mail address to be added to our automated vacancies update list in the future, please advise us when you apply, thank you.
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and health assessment.