Job Title: Scientific Marketing and Communications Manager
Start date: Open
Salary: £40,000 - £45,000 plus benefits dependent on experience
Hours: Full-time office based
Oxford Genetics, a leader in synthetic biology, is a specialised contract research organisation offering services to support the discovery, development and production of biologics, with a particular focus on viral vectors for gene therapy applications. A unifying theme across the portfolio is expertise in DNA design, expression system optimisation, cell line development and engineering of viral delivery systems. We are located within purpose-fitted laboratories at the Oxford Science Park, just South of Oxford.
We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists and engineers to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company. We aim to be both innovative and entrepreneurial in everything we do – join us and contribute to this exciting journey!
As our Scientific Marketing and Communications Manager, you must be a creative and driven marketing professional with significant marketing communications experience in the biotechnology sector and you must be able to thrive in a fast-moving environment.
It is essential that you can write and edit scientific copy to deliver factually correct product collateral whilst emphasising the strategic value message. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who enjoys producing high quality work and be comfortable to take full responsibility content production.
You’ll be experienced at distilling complex information down into crisp, clear value messages, and on occasion guiding 3rd parties to understand, create and deliver strong creative concepts with compelling messaging.
You will be a brand champion and will ensure that creative applications reinforce the key campaign proposition and utilise the optimum channels to maximise revenue.
You will have a role to play in measuring campaign performance data and forming strategies for future campaigns in partnership with other stakeholders.
- Create marketing materials that articulate the USPs of our solution offerings and articulate our market competitive position.
- Working with the scientific teams, present the product range, understand product developments within this range and work closely with the teams to present appropriate scientific data and communications to support marketing campaigns.
- Contribute to product launches including preparation for market, product and commercial readiness and production of launch materials and promotions on time and within budget.
- Support the business development team with targeted marketing campaigns to align with the sales strategy.
- Engaging with all relevant stakeholders, (R&D, Business Development, Executive team) ensure their input is captured and the business is aligned in the production of all communication materials.
- Assist in onboarding of new staff with education on the key messages of our business and USPs for the different offerings.
- Collation and management of market insights and feedback to identify market trends, potential customer groups and formulate targeted messaging.
- Conduct Market research necessary to build a robust and credible plan.
- Set KPIs to measure marketing effectiveness, determine ROI for all activities, adapt the marketing plan to drive improvement.
- Establish and maintain relationships with global KOLs / key customers / media.
- Lead the creation of press and co-marketing materials and initiatives.
- Liaise with Finance on budget planning and reviews.
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position, as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences.
- Ideally CIM Professional Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing qualified and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (MCIM) or a Member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR).
- 5+ years in Communications and Marketing within a life sciences business.
- Experience of delivering effective press campaigns and co-marketing initiatives.
- Strong communication, advanced writing and organisational skills.
- Demonstrable experience of the creation of product marketing materials in a technology or sciences business.
- Good commercial awareness.
- Ability to prioritise and manage multiple activities and work under pressure.
- Ability to make connections, build relationships and work collaboratively.
- Effective influencing skills, ability to connect positively at all levels of the business and achieve change without direct responsibility.
- Experience of working within a marketing team, ideally managing, including selection and management of external consultants or suppliers.
- Business management experience, in a brand, marketing or product management role in the biotechnology sector.
- Excellent IT skills (Advanced Adobe and InDesign is preferred, Advanced Microsoft an advantage)
- Some lab experience in a commercial setting is an advantage.
- Experience of managing the international launch of new products or brands.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills with numerical skills for manipulation of market and sales data.
In addition to undertaking the duties above, the post-holder will be expected to fully adhere to the following:
- To actively participate in their performance review and work towards objectives set.
- To take responsibility for their own professional development ensuring professional standards are maintained and mandatory training is in date.
- To attend training as requested.
Code of Conduct and Quality
- To uphold the company mission and values.
- To support the company in developing an effective work/life balance for employees that meets the needs of the organisation.
- To adhere to quality processes and procedures and strive for continuous quality improvement.
- To observe the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy providing equality of treatment and opportunity to employees, irrespective of sex, sexuality, age, marital status, ethnic origin or disability.
Health & Safety
- To take responsibility for the health & safety of themselves and other persons who may be affected by their omissions or actions at work.
- To promote the company Health and Safety Policy and ensure matters are managed in accordance with it.
- To report accidents, incidents and near misses, implementing corrective action where necessary.
Confidentiality and Data Security
- To comply fully with the duties and responsibilities outlined the company handbook regarding confidentiality.
- To comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 and future similar legislation and ensure that all information collected, stored and used is done so in compliance with the Act.
- To preserve the confidentiality of any information in connection with their employment. This obligation shall continue in perpetuity.
25 days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays, Pension with matched employer contribution to 7%, Health Insurance, Group Life Cover, Glasses Vouchers and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding young company.
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship.
Please send a CV. Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description. Internal applicants apply directly to the Recruitment inbox and copy in the HR Manager.
By sending us your personal information, you are asking us to hold your data on file and understand that we will only keep it for as long as we need it to comply with the Data Protection Act however, should you wish your e-mail address to be added to our automated vacancies update list in the future, please advise us when you apply, thank you.
DIVERSITY AND EQUALITY OF OPPORTUNITY
We provide all our staff with a welcoming and inclusive workplace that enables and empowers everyone to develop and deliver professional excellence. We recognise diversity is vital for innovation and creativity and value each individual’s contribution. Entry into employment with Oxford Genetics and further progression will be determined by personal merit and the application of criteria related to the duties of the role. The ability to perform the role will be the primary consideration on entry into employment and to successfully pass probation.
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and health assessment.
Oxford Genetics only accept CV’s from Partnership Recruitment Agencies. Should you wish to be considered for the future, please read the information on our website under ‘Recruitment Agencies’ and should you be eligible, please complete the online form, thank you.