Oxford Genetics’ mission is to pioneer technologies that streamline the discovery, development and production of biologics, cell and gene therapies. This is enabled through cutting edge bioinformatics and automation platforms that drive the design of complex biological systems. Examples of this approach include the development of optimised platforms for the discovery, engineering and production of antibodies; the creation of improved viral vectors, packaging and production cell lines for lentivirus and rAAV manufacture; and high-throughput automated CRISPR cell line engineering and screening.
We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists and engineers to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company. We aim to be both innovative and entrepreneurial in everything we do – join us and contribute to this exciting journey!
The Process Development and Analytical team at Oxford Genetics is involved in the implementation and generation of upstream, downstream and analytical technologies related to protein and viral vector manufacture. The team works closely with the Protein and Viral Therapeutics teams using OG proprietary mammalian cell lines and genetic systems. We aim to generate state of the art processes to address unmet needs and facilitate development of complex biopharmaceuticals.
The team utilises a wide range of technologies including AMBR15, DASGIP STR bioreactors, TFF, AKTA/Preparative chromatography, qPCR, SDS-PAGE/Western blot, HPLC and ELISA. This role will manage the diverse activities of the team ensuring alignment with business goals. An additional requirement is the ability to initiate and direct collaborative efforts with customers and partners. Prior experience in process scale-up and technology transfer activities in a commercial/industrial environment would be considered essential.
At OG we aim to use statistical/computational methods to enable efficient process and platform design – familiarity with use of automation, design of experiments and quality by design would be highly advantageous.
- Day to day management of process development and analytical team
- To support Scientist colleagues with experimental design and approach
- To generate customer proposals, working with the commercial team
- Liaise with customers and third parties, providing regular updates and troubleshooting
- Act as a subject matter expert for process development and analytical technologies
- Support commercial activities by attending conferences/trade shows, as required
- Develop and nurture a high-performing team, and provide associated training
- Ph.D or MSc in relevant area (e.g. Biochemical Engineering), along with >7 years’ experience in an industry setting
- High-level attention to detail
- Experience with developing and optimising scalable manufacturing processes
- High-level understanding of gene therapy vectors (Lentivirus and AAV), and associated product quality attributes
- Direct experience working in a regulated industry, authoring/utilising SOPs, and templated documentation within ISO 9001:2015 quality management standard (or equivalent)
- Experience of managing and developing a team of Scientists and technicians
- Previous experience of developing suspension processes for viral vectors
- Understanding of multiple methods outlined in role overview sufficient to provide guidance to scientist already familiar with the methods and specialised in their respective fields
- Direct knowledge around rAAV and Lentiviral manufacture
- Understanding of GMP regulations and QbD principles and guidelines for process development
In addition to undertaking the duties above, the post-holder will be expected to fully adhere to the following:
- To observe the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy providing equality of treatment and opportunity to employees, irrespective of sex, sexuality, age, marital status, ethnic origin or disability.
Health & Safety
- To take responsibility for the health & safety of themselves and other persons who may be affected by their omissions or actions at work.
- To promote the company Health and Safety Policy and ensure matters are managed in accordance with it.
- To report accidents, incidents and near misses, implementing corrective action where necessary.
Confidentiality and Data Security
- To comply fully with the duties and responsibilities outlined the company handbook regarding confidentiality.
- To comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 and future similar legislation and ensure that all information collected, stored and used is done so in compliance with the Act.
- To preserve the confidentiality of any information in connection with their employment. This obligation shall continue in perpetuity.
25 days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays, Pension with matched employer contribution to 7%, Health Insurance, Group Life Cover, Glasses Vouchers and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding young company.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship.
Please send a CV to : Recruitment@oxgene.com Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description. Internal applicants apply directly to the Recruitment inbox and copy in the HR Manager.
By sending us your personal information, you are asking us to hold your data on file and understand that we will only keep it for as long as we need it to comply with the Data Protection Act however, should you wish your e-mail address to be added to our automated vacancies update list in the future, please advise us when you apply, thank you.
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and health assessment.
Salary: Competitive + Benefits, dependent on experience
Hours: Full Time – Office and Laboratory based
Strictly No Agencies