Our Client is an ambitious drug development company headquartered in North America, publicly quoted with a headcount of c. 200 employees. European operations are centered in Switzerland.
The company has two marketed products approved in Europe (and other territories), both of which are in the cardiovascular area. Other non-CV products are however in development as is a drug/device combination product for which regulatory submissions are planned over the coming months.
The need has emerged for a top-quality Head of Medical Affairs who will be responsible for collaborating across all European regions and functions to develop and then execute the Medical Affairs strategy, including Phase IV clinical trials and publications. Responsibility will also encompass management of Pharmacovigilance.
This is a senior level role within the company and reports directly to the North-American based CEO. The successful candidate will ideally be based in Switzerland, although outstanding candidates based within easy access of Geneva and who would be willing to undertake frequent visits there, will be considered. A strong international (European) outlook / experience is important
It is likely that the successful candidate will possess the following areas of experience and expertise:-
- Results-oriented and possess a proven track record of success in building and leading best-in-class medical affairs organizations within a growing world-class biopharmaceutical or medical device company.
- Intense commitment to high moral standards and business ethics. Honesty, openness, and transparency are valued. Ability to build relationships that foster a cohesive, committed team environment across multiple locations and geographies. Ability to inspire others and bring out their best performance is sought.
- Medical degree or PhD.
- A minimum of 10+ years total related work experience. At least seven years of pharmaceutical industry experience in medical affairs or other relevant discipline. Profound expertise in the field of cardiovascular disease.
- A minimum of five years senior leadership experience; credible as a ‘thought leader’ and able to inspire others, creating a dynamic environment that fosters innovation in thought and execution, as well as transparency; able to work collaboratively across all levels of the organization and lead influentially, must have exceptional judgment, integrity, and ethics.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner and effectively influence all constituencies, including management, scientists, board members, corporate partners and investors
- Strategic Thinker/Change Agent: High-energy, accountable and forward-looking; able to see larger business picture. Persuasive individual with the ability to work at all levels to educate and gain buy-in for all programs and initiatives; track record of creating a positive imprint on an evolving business; able to engage in strategic business discussion and communicate the value of quality programs and initiatives and the value of change.
- Effective Trusted Communicator: Able to effectively educate and influence other stakeholders, encouraging ownership of quality vision and strategies; must be approachable, a good listener and trusted confidant, able to encourage confidence to receive ‘unfiltered truth’ about potential problems at all levels within the organization and get buy-in on strategies and means of implementation. Able to work cooperatively in a team setting and communicate throughout the organization within a fast-paced cross-functional environment while prioritizing multiple competing tasks and demands
- Spoken and written fluency in English and eventually other European languages
This is an excellent and exciting opportunity in an ambitious and fast-growing company. The contribution to be made will be highly visible and of critical importance.
If this opportunity is a good fit with your own areas of experience and expertise, please make contact with Geoff Newman (Interea) as soon as possible. (firstname.lastname@example.org 01844-202989)