We are building a team of collaborative software engineers to transform drug discovery and improve human health. We value well-crafted software and clean architecture, developed through a steady process of incremental change. Our software developers continually strive to master new technologies and techniques, and always aim to choose the right tool for the task at hand. We reserve 10% of our working week for the exploration of new ideas, and share what we have learned with each other through mentorship, pair programming, and tech talks. We work in productive partnerships with our data scientists, statisticians, and domain experts to advance our understanding of the human wiring diagram.
Team members will be expected to gather requirements, design systems, plan and estimate implementation work, and produce quality code - all in close collaboration with colleagues. We are flexible in terms of what programming languages and paradigms we use: if at least two other team members are comfortable working in a language, it is a candidate for production use. Our philosophy is that development skills are largely independent of language, and the ideal applicant would be able to learn the basics of a new language in a matter of days, and to become productive in it within a few weeks. For this reason, rather than requiring applicants to have a specific set of language skills, we expect a successful applicant will have had exposure to a number of different languages as a side-effect of previous development projects, and should have demonstrable skill in at least two of them.
You should have:
- Skill coding in multiple programming languages.
- Dedication to lifelong learning and a willingness to teach and learn from peers.
- Critical thinking skills, familiarity with basic statistics, and attention to detail.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex ideas to an audience with a range of technical backgrounds.
- Enthusiasm for problem solving and interest in being part of transformative work in the field of genomics and healthcare.
Your background should include:
- Substantial experience producing useful software collaboratively and in partnership with users.
- A track record of using good software development practices (e.g. distributed source code management, code review, testing, pair programming) to facilitate collaborative work.
- Experience with performance measurement and profiling of applications using Linux-based operating systems and tools.
- Some experience with DevOps practices (e.g. continuous integration, continuous testing, release automation, infrastructure as code, applications monitoring).
In return we offer:
- The opportunity to work alongside talented colleagues in an enthusiastic company that combines cutting-edge science with commercial delivery.
- A focus on rapid commercial translation (independently and with our partners), so our work improves people’s lives.
- Access to amazing data – you will work with one of the largest and fastest-growing genotype-phenotype databases in the world.
- Dedicated time for hacking on blue sky projects and research.
- A rewarding salary with pension, private healthcare, share options and other benefits.
Given the sensitive nature of data used in Genomics plc you will be expected, as with all other employees, to ensure high standards of information security in your work.
Please apply with a CV and cover letter addressing the above criteria to email@example.com.
Genomics plc welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, race, religion or belief, or pregnancy/maternity status.