Oxford Genetics, a leader in synthetic biology, is a specialized contract research organization offering services to support the discovery, development and production of biologics, with a particular focus on viral vectors for gene therapy applications.
A unifying theme across the portfolio is expertise in DNA design, expression system optimization, cell line development and engineering of viral delivery systems. We are located within purpose-fitted laboratories at the Oxford Science Park, just South of Oxford.
We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists and engineers to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company. We aim to be both innovative and entrepreneurial in everything we do & join us and contribute to this exciting journey!
Job type: Permanent, office and laboratory based
Hours: Full time
Salary: £24,000 – £38,000 pa, dependent on experience plus competitive benefits package
The Associate Scientist / Scientist – Molecular Biology will work across a range of internal and commercial projects, focusing on the generation of molecular constructs for the production of Adeno-associated virus. The role will work closely with the AAV production team and sits within the AAV Vector Group, which addresses both viral vector engineering and novel-bioproduction methodologies. Oxford Genetics intends to further build its expertise over the next 6-12 months in the Viral Therapeutics field, predominantly around Lentiviral, AAV and Adenoviral vectors.
Prior experience in generating and characterising large panels of DNA constructs is highly-desirable, especially in the context of viral vectors.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line with the planned project objectives.
- To line manage and train junior staff in laboratory techniques (as appropriate for level of appointment).
- Support line manager with customer interactions, and in ensuring smooth running of the group.
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities.
- Drafting and review of SOPs.
- To author scientific reports in a timely manner with high accuracy and quality.
- Implementation of new methods and technologies.
- BSc/MSc in Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics or related field, with >2 years relevant experience or Ph.D with >1 year relevant experience.
- Experience working in a commercial/industry environment is preferred but not essential.
- Practical experience of molecular biology techniques, including ligations, restriction digestion, PCR, DNA sequencing, RT-PCR and ELISA.
- Experience with cell culture is preferred.
- Prior experience in generating complex DNA constructs.
- Ability to independently analyse, interpret and present scientific data in a clear manner.
- Good communication and inter-personal skills.
- Strong ability to multi-task under pressure.
- High-level knowledge of AAV genetics, and gene therapy applications.
- Track record of handling adherent cell lines in multiple formats (multiwell plates, hyperflasks/stacks, cell factories).
- Handling and transfection of suspension cell lines.
- Analytical techniques for genetic characterisation of viral particles.
In addition to undertaking the duties above, the post-holder will be expected to fully adhere to the following:
- To actively participate in their performance review and work towards objectives set.
- To take responsibility for their own professional development ensuring professional standards are maintained and mandatory training is in date.
- To attend training as requested.
Code Of Conduct And Quality
- To uphold the company mission and values.
- To adhere to quality processes and procedures and strive for continuous quality improvement.
Equal Opportunities / Diversity
- To observe the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy providing equality of treatment and opportunity to employees, irrespective of sex, sexuality, age, marital status, ethnic origin or disability.
Health & Safety
- To take responsibility for the health and safety of themselves and other persons who may be affected by their omissions or actions at work.
- To promote the company Health and Safety Policy and ensure matters are managed in accordance with it.
- To report accidents, incidents and near misses, implementing corrective action where necessary.
Confidentiality And Data Security
- To comply fully with the duties and responsibilities outlined the company handbook regarding confidentiality.
- To comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 and future similar legislation and ensure that all information collected, stored and used is done so in compliance with the Act.
- To preserve the confidentiality of any information in connection with their employment.This obligation shall continue in perpetuity.
25 days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays, Pension with matched employer contribution to 7%, Health Insurance, Group Life Cover, Glasses Vouchers, Long Service Benefits and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding company.
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office addresses are: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Medawar Building and Northbrook House, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
How To Apply
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship.
Please send a CV. Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description.
Strictly no agencies, thank you
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and a work health assessment.
Diversity And Equality Of Opportunity
We provide all our staff with a welcoming and inclusive workplace that enables and empowers everyone to develop and deliver professional excellence. We recognise diversity is vital for innovation and creativity and value each individual’s contribution. Entry into employment with Oxford Genetics and further progression will be determined by personal merit and the application of criteria related to the duties of the role. The ability to perform the role will be the primary consideration on entry into employment and to successfully pass