OMass Technologies specializes in applying state-of-the-art native mass spectrometry platforms to characterizing challenging protein assemblies, including membrane proteins. By preserving the structures of protein assemblies we provide novel structural insights into large, dynamic complexes. The company vision is to build a drug discovery company with these technologies at its core.
OMass Technologies is inviting applications for several biochemist positions, focussed on the expression and purification of GPCRs for drug discovery. This is an exciting opportunity to undertake an extremely dynamic and diverse role within a new biotechnology spin-out company from the laboratory of Professor Carol Robinson at the University of Oxford. The company offers a thriving and creative environment for a well-suited candidate to be exposed to drug discovery and development processes and state-of-the-art technology developments. You will acquire extensive knowledge of the company’s operations and become an integral part of our future vision.
At OMass you will join a team of enthusiastic and dynamic scientists with a shared passion for building a world-leading drug discovery company using an exciting and powerful set of technologies. Following a recent successful fund-raising exercise, the company is expanding significantly in different areas and currently in the process of moving to a new building at the Oxford Science Park. This is an excellent time to join a growing company.
The successful candidate will possess extensive experience in membrane protein expression and purification. Experience in handling protein samples and characterising expression levels and activity is key. The role is exclusively research based and as such, the ability to problem solve and develop innovative solutions within projects is a key attribute required for the role.
Applications to be received by 24th August 2018
The preferred candidate will have the following profile:
- A PhD in a relevant area of biology
- Experience in a variety of molecular biology and cell culture techniques
- Experience in membrane protein expression methods in mammalian and insect cells
- Experience in membrane protein purification
- Analytical thinking and good problem-solving skills to overcome technical issues
- Excellent organizational and time management skills as well as the ability to work to strict deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work flexibly within a team as well as being highly self-motivated and work independently
- Cloning of membrane protein plasmid constructs and expression in insect and mammalian cells using a variety of transfection and infection methods
- Characterization of expression levels in membrane and in solubilised form using binding assays
- Characterization of protein stability in solubilised form using a variety of biochemical and biophysical techniques to inform purification process
- Construct engineering to optimise expression
- Optimisation of solubilisation conditions to maximise membrane protein stability
- Purification of GPCRs and biochemical/biophysical characterisation using a range of analytical techniques to provide high quality protein for different downstream applications
- Maintain detailed laboratory records and keep up to date with relevant literature ,
- Work closely with mass spec scientists, medicinal chemists and pharmacologists to help advance the project
Applicants should provide a full CV with a list of their publications to date, contact details for 2 referees and a cover letter describing their compatibility with position required. All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
OMass Technologies values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity, we also have full responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to work and live in UK.
Job Type: Full-time