OBN Senior Executive Breakfast Club: Biosimilars
Event Start Date: Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:00 AM
Event End Date: Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:00 AM
We are pleased to announce details of an OBN Senior Executive Breakfast Club (SEBC) event, providing an update from the industry on:
‘Biosimilars – Are they the generic equivalent to small molecule therapeutics and are they an opportunity or threat to the BioTech Industry?’
This event will be held at SCI, London, where science meets business, on Thursday 21st September.
Biologics with estimated sales of $100 billion will come off patent by 2020, presenting considerable commercial opportunities for Biosimilars.
Yet there are significant hurdles facing the wide-scale development and commercialisation of Biosimilars;
- Unlike generics that are manufactured purely via chemical synthesis, Biosimilars are far more structurally complex and manufactured in living cells
- Where Biosimilars are on sale they typically cost 15% to 30% less than the originator … far less of a discount compared to generics
- It takes 7 to 8 years to develop a Biosimilar, at a cost of between $100 million and $250 million, far greater than a generic therapeutic
- The lack of automatic substitutability may limit market penetration
Will Biosimilars encounter substantial barriers in their efforts to compete with branded biologics and face more difficulties than was the case for small molecule generics?
Will Biosimilars impact the future market for novel biologics and inhibit the opportunities for R&D Biotech companies?
Expert panellists will help us debate the hurdles facing the wide-scale development and commercialisation of Biosimilars.
08:00 Registration and breakfast
Dr John Harris, CEO of OBN (UK)
08:40 Keynote presentations
Siân Gill, Partner, Patent Attorney, Venner Shipley
Warwick Smith, Director General of the British Biosimilars Association (BBA) and the British Generic Manufacturers Association (BGMA)
Speaker - TBC
09:20 Q&A and round-table discussions
10:00 Wrap up and close
14/15 Belgrave Square,
OBN Member: Free
OBN Non-Member: £25+VAT
Our Senior Executive Breakfast Clubs are a unique peer-to-peer networking platform for life sciences senior execs with all discussions held under Chatham House Rules which ensures full, frank and useful disclosure.
- Aimed at the Senior Executives of R&D companies and Investors
- Contact email@example.com for clarification if you are unsure if you qualify to attend or if you would like to suggest other people to invite